Hi friends! Today I thought I would share my go-to breakfast these days. Since the beginning of the year my mom and I have been trying to eat super healthy. I had put on quite a bit of weight prior to my big move across the country (thanks to countless cheese bagels with butter and bacon, and double chocolate oreo muffins) so it was really time to buckle down and start eating clean again.
This breakfast is super quick and easy to throw together. It’s a great alternative to oatmeal, if you’re like me and can’t handle the mushiness. It also feels like a cheat meal because I add chocolate chips, which I’m positive it’s healthier without the dark chocolate chips, but not near as yummy for a chocoholic like myself. Feel free to eliminate them.
- 1/4 quinoa (measured dry)
- 10 dark chocolate chips
- 1 small banana
- Cook your quinoa. I normally make a big pot of quinoa at the beginning of the week and just store it in the fridge. So if I make 2 cups (measured dry), I just divide it into 8 even portions.
- Add your chocolate chips. If it’s just cooked quinoa, you can just stir them in. I add the chocolate chips to my quinoa (which is cold out of the fridge), and heat it up for a minute in the microwave. Be sure to stir the melted chocolate in so all the quinoa gets covered! Also – be careful, adding too many chocolate chips can make this not-so-healthy.
- Slice up your banana and throw it on top.
- Eat the tastiest, easiest breakfast ever.
Since I like to have an idea of the macros, I punched the portion into MyFitnessPal. To be honest, I wasn’t near as impressed with these stats. But, remember, the carbs are coming from clean sources (quinoa and banana), and believe it or not, most of the sugars are natural sugars from the banana.
- Calories: 332
- Total Carbohydrates: 64g
- Sugars: 24g
- Protein: 6g
Taking out the chocolate chips eliminates 60 calories, 4g of fat, and 7 g of carbs
While, a breakfast consisting of eggs and vegetables would provide much more protein, and eliminate much more of the carbs, for me, this is the perfect breakfast to fuel my day!
What’s your favourite go-to breakfast? I’d love to hear them!